Thursday, March 11, 2021

IV Lent, St. Joseph's Day, and V Lent (and of zeppole withdrawals and worship sheets)

Friday, March 19, is the Solemnity of St. Joseph, Spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  9:00 Mass that morning will be in the Church.  Sadly, with the distancing rules still in place, we can't have them in the hall this year.  But we can definitely come to Mass, honor the good saint who was the great protector of Mary and Jesus, then go out and bring some zeppoles home.  If anyone knows the best place to get them, please let me know.  I'm considering the Original Italian Bakery on Atwood Ave. near St. Rocco's, since I travel north to go home.

Also, starting this weekend, you will see the Mass guides in trifold form.  You can fit more content in them if needed, and although the font sizes are exactly the same as the previous format, the smaller pages make these fonts come out at you more.  They're not swimming in the paper like before.  So instead of four 8-1/2 x 11 pages, there are now six 5-2/3 x 11 pages.  Width-wise, the new pages are almost like that of a standard pew-edition hymnal (in which the pages are 6 x 9 usually).

MUSIC FOR HOLY MASS

ORDINARY OF THE MASS:

- Messa Popolare Laus Tibi Christe (Kyrie) (Sundays)
- Mass XVII (Sanctus and Agnus) (Sundays)
- Mass VIII (Gloria, Sanctus, and Agnus) (St. Joseph's Day)
- Save us, Savior of the World (ICEL chant) (Memorial) (All Masses)
- Amen adapted from the Sanctus of Mass VIII (All Masses)

The rest:

Sunday IV of Lent (Laetare Sunday)
Saturday, III-13, at 5 PM; Sunday, III-14, at 7:30, 9, and 11:15 AM

We sing the praise of him who died ("Breslau") (Listen)
Psalm 137: Let my tongue be silenced if I ever forget you (BMP) (PDF)
Gospel Acclamation Vexilla Regis (BMP, based on Mode I) (PDF)
- NOTE: The PDF has "Third Week of Lent" as the header.  However, the versicle for this Sunday is the same as that of last Sunday, Year B ("God so loved the world...")
At the Name of Jesus
 ("King's Weston") (Listen)
- NOTE: The organ fanfare before the hymn is about a minute long in this listen link.
Communion music:
- Responsory, w/Psalm 122: Jerusalem, built as a city, bonded as one together (BMP) (PDF)
- or anthem: My song is love unknown (John Ireland)
Amazing Grace ("New Britain") (I don't think we need a listen link for this one) ;)
There is a green hill far away ("Horsley") (Listen)

Saint Joseph, Spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Solemnity
Friday, III-19, at 9 AM in the CHURCH

Joseph, be out guide and pattern ("Oriel")
Psalm 89: The Son of David will live for ever (BMP) 
Gospel Acclamation Vexilla Regis (BMP, based on Mode I) (PDF) (versicle 38 in the PDF link)
Come now, and praise the humble saint ("Land of Rest") (Listen)
Communion responsory: w/Psalm 27: Did you not know that I must be about my Father's business (PDF)
Jesus, my Lord, my God, my All ("Sweet Sacrament")
Holy Patron, thee saluting ("Pleading Savior") (same tune as Sing of Mary, pure and lowly)

Sunday V of Lent
Saturday, III-20, at 5 PM; Sunday, III-21, at 7:30, 9, and 11:15 AM

O Love, how deep, how broad, how high ("Deus Tuorum Militum") (Listen)
Psalm 51: Create a clean heart in me, O God (BMP, based on Parce Domine) (PDF)
Gospel Acclamation Vexilla Regis (BMP, based on Mode I) (PDF)
Abide with me ("Eventide") (Listen)
Communion music:
- Responsory, w/Psalm 17: Any man who serves me must follow me... (PDF)
- or anthem: My God, my Father, while I stray (Montani//Troyte)
Soul of my Savior ("Anima Christi") (Listen)
We sing the praise of him who died ("Breslau")

Holy Week music listings coming soon --- very soon!

Quod scripsi, scripsi!
BMP