For the months of July and August, we'll be using A Community Mass by Richard Proulx for the sung settings of the Sanctus, Memorial Acclamation (When we eat this bread...), Amen, and Agnus Dei (all in English). If the Gloria is sung, it will be Latin, using the chant setting from Mass VIII, which we have done before.
VII-5-13 (6 PM); SACRED HEART COMMUNITY MASS
Entrance hymn: sheet in pew, O Sacred Heart, O Love Divine
Responsorial Psalm: missalette (Daily Mass section, July 5), psalm tone 8G
Alleluia: music by Owen Alstott
Offertory hymn: Cor Jesu Trinitatis
- Those who were at the 11:15 Mass last Sunday heard this at the offertory.
Ordinary of the Mass: A Community Mass, music by Richard Proulx
- Click here to hear the complete Mass. As for the music we're singing from it, the Sanctus starts at the 3:45 mark, the Memorial Acclamation (When we eat this bread...) starts at the 5:30 mark, the Amen starts at the 6:40 mark, and the Agnus Dei starts at the 7:00 mark. I know it's been a few months since we've sung an English setting, and for that reason I should remind everyone that the English Sanctus is "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God of Hosts", (not "God of power and might").
Communion hymn: Panis Angelicus, music from a Hungarian source
Recessional hymn: sheet in pew, To Jesus' Heart, all-burning
VII-7-13; Sunday XIV
Hymn numbers today will all be found in the red Worship hymnal.
Entrance hymn: 615 The kingdom of God (Listen)
- The hymn Ye servants of God, which is heard in the listen link, is the same tune as the hymn we will be singing. This tune is also used for Sing praise to the Lord (or it's original title, O praise ye the Lord). It is one a few tunes in the Worship hymnal that are written by English composer Sir Charles Hubert Hastings Parry. Sir Parry's choral music has been used at many a royal ceremony at Westminster Abbey, and is a favorite composer of Prince Charles.
- The source of the listen link given here is the Shrine of the Little Flower, Baltimore, Maryland.
Gloria (if sung): Mass VIII
Responsorial Psalm: Let all the earth cry out to God with joy, music by yours truly
Alleluia: see First Friday list, above
Offertory hymn: 470 Lord, you give the great commission (Listen)
- The above-listed Gloria is also included in the listen link. The organist and conductor in this video is an internet friend of mine, Mr. Mark Husey. This was taken at his parish, St. Peter's in Columbia, South Carolina.
Ordinary of the Mass: see First Friday list, above
Communion anthem: In the cross of Christ I glory, melody from Southern Harmony, arranged by yours truly
- Southern Harmony is an Early American collection of hymn tunes. You may sing along if you wish. The melody is in the maroon hymnal, #777.
Meditation hymn: 728 Shepherd of souls
Recessional hymn: 628 Go, make of all disciples