This Sunday, we celebrate one of those solemnities that fall on a fixed date. September 14 is the Solemnity of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. Formerly known as "Triumph of the Cross" (since the start of the Novus Ordo Mass in 1969, its present name, "Exaltation of the Holy Cross" is faithful to the Latin title from the current Missal, "in Exaltatione Sanctae Crucis". This solemnity takes precedence over the regularly numbered Sunday (in this case, 24th) of Ordered Time.
MUSIC FOR HOLY MASS
Sung Ordinary of the Mass and Alleluia: same as last Sunday
Numbers given are in the red Worship hymnal, except where noted.
Entrance hymn: Lift high the cross, #704
Psalm 78: Do not forget the works of the Lord, music by Royce Nickel
Offertory hymn: Crown him with many crowns, #496
Communion anthems (two short ones):
- 1. Adoramus Te, Christe, music by Theodore Dubois, from his Seven Last Words of Christ
- - - Translation: We adore you, O Christ, and we praise you, because by your holy Cross, you have redeemed the world.
- 2. Ave Verum, music by Lorenzo Perosi
- - - Translation: Hail, true Body, born of the Virgin Mary, who, having truly suffered, was sacrificed on the Cross for mankind, whose pierced side flowed with water and blood. May it be for us a foretaste in the trial of death. O Jesus sweet, O Jesus pious, O Jesus, Son of Mary.
Meditation hymn: Soul of my Savior, #41 in the hymn section of the missalette
- which we sang three weeks ago. ;)
Recessional hymn: Rejoice! the Lord is King, #493