I inserted "listen links" on all the hymns, even those hymns familiar to Sacred Heart, for the benefit of any visitors and those not exposed to Catholic repertoire. :)
ORDINARY OF THE MASS:
- Yes, my own Gloria setting made it out to St. Michael's Church in Stillwater, Minnesota! :)
Sanctus through Agnus: A Community Mass (Richard Proulx)
ALLELUIA: Owen Alstott
Entrance hymn: Alleluia! sing to Jesus! ("Hyfrydol") (Listen)
Psalm 145: R./ The hand of the Lord feeds us; he answers all our needs (R./ Fr. Columba Kelly, OSB; V./ Pérè Joseph Gelineau, SJ)
Offertory hymn: Father, we thank thee who hast planted ("Rendez a Dieu") (Listen)
- The attributed composer, Louis Bourgeois, is also known for the very familiar "Old Hundredth", which is the tune used for "All people that on earth do dwell" and "Praise God, from whom all blessings flow". Many of his tunes are part of the "Genevan Psalter", which dates back to the mid 1500's.
Music during Communion:
- Responsory, Psalm 78: R./ You gave us bread from heaven, O Lord (BMP) (PDF)
- OR Hymn: Dear Lord and Father of mankind ("Repton")
- - The latter is composed by Charles Hubert Hastings Parry, who gave us the music to last Sunday's recessional hymn, "O praise ye the Lord".
Meditation hymn: Pange Lingua (Chant, Mode III) (vv. 1-3) (Listen)
- While this hymn is always appropriate at Communion, it's good to note that it is also the assigned Proper on Holy Thursday, at the Solemn Translation of the Holy Eucharist (which concludes the Mass on that day).
Recessional hymn: Ye holy angels bright ("Darwall's 148th") (Listen)
- Same tune as "Rejoice, the Lord is King"
Quod scripsi, scripsi!