Monday, August 4, 2014

SUNDAY XIX (and an absent organist)

This weekend, I am taking my first vacation in two years.  No, I was not refused one last year.  I had a lot on my personal plate, so vacation time was not even a thought, so that was my option.  This year, I am taking one.

However, you will not be without music.  This weekend, we welcome Eden Casteel to the organ bench.  Eden has done many things (and still does many things) in both sacred and secular music.  She sings (coloratura soprano), plays piano and organ, she is also a librettist (those who are free should check out her  musical series Quonnie, which she wrote and directs).  She teaches in both sacred (including Royal School of Church Music, Newport RI) and secular venues, and has filled in for organists in several Protestant and Catholic churches in the area.  She is well-versed in Catholic liturgy and is familiar with both of our hymnals.  In fact, I heard her rehearsing with our singers Elaine and Kate after the 11:15 Mass this past weekend.  You'll like what you'll hear.  But sing along, too, as you usually do.  (By the way, the past couple of weekends has seen more livelier singing from the pews than normal, in both the Mass and the hymns.  Keep up the great work!)

MUSIC FOR HOLY MASS

The Mass Ordinary and Alleluia will be what we've been doing the throughout July.  It will be the same through most of August as well (the only exception being the Italian Feast on the 16th).

Today's hymns are from the Maroon hymnal.

Entrance hymn: O God, our help in ages past, #289
Psalm 85: Lord, let us see your kindness, and grant us your salvation, music by Joseph Gelineau (versicles) and J. Robert Carroll (response).  (You can follow in Worship, #919.)
Offertory hymn: Abide with me, #467
Communion anthem: Laudamus Te, from the Gloria by Antonio Vivaldi (the piece I got to hear after the 11:15 Mass)
Meditation hymn: I sought the Lord, and afterward I knew, #405
Recessional hymn: O Jesus, I have promised, #570, second tune

I'll be back for the Assumption Masses (August 14-15), and for any funerals (except Saturday the 9th) which may fall in the interim.

Peace,
BMP